Can you substitute white sugar for corn syrup in a watermelon pickle recipe? If so, how much sugar should be used per cup of corn syrup? ;o

These will be packed in syrup and processed in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Thanks so much. ;o)

boulangere June 26, 2011

AntoniaJames, I'm so sorry you haven't received an answer to your very good question. I don't know the answer, but here is a link that might help you:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Cooking-Tips/Pantry-Pointers/Substitute-for-Corn-Syrup

I'm with you, though, in feeling adverse to using corn syrup.

AntoniaJames June 26, 2011

Thank you, boulangere. The recipe calling for corn syrup is in "The Essential New York Times Cookbook." I found a similar one in my 1943 edition of "The Joy of Cooking," which does not call for corn syrup, so I went with that one. ;o)

boulangere June 26, 2011

Lucky you for having such an edition! The oldest one I have is the one that was ring-bound, from which my son tore pages as an infant in my arms as I paged through it, I sort of pressed then back into place. It also still holds the most recent notes taken over the phone from my mother for Belle Foley's Chocolate Cake. And I treasure it as I am sure you do yours.