Today's the last day of our NYC Holiday Market. So come see us! »
🔕 🔔

Suggestions for using Fiori di Sicilia: I bought a bottle for making panettone, and have quite a bit left over.

What are some other good ways to use it? Thank you, everyone. ;o)

asked about 1 year ago

Antonia, as the Fiori di Sicilia already has some citrus & flowers, use extra in Persian, eastern Mediterranean, Arabic recipes which call for orange blossom water or rose water. They are, after all, two ingredients which the Persians gave the Arabs and the Arabs gave the Sicilians). Taste won't be identical, but in the same flavor family or range.
Think baklava, rice pudding, cookies, ice cream, in dishes with almonds or pistachios, with raspberry or strawberry, as a variation/substitute for vanilla.
See especially Ana Sortun for mostly Turkish recipes, Silvena Rowe for Turkish & Bulgarian, Louisa Shafia for Persian, Claudia Roden for Egyptian.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Unsurprisingly the King Arthur Flour website has a bunch of recipes that call for this ingredient since they sell their own version of that item.

It's been a while since I've had it in my kitchen, but my recollection is that a little goes a long way. So, yay, you have many options... I'm thinking that it might be fun to play with as an ingredient in cocktails, a twist on a conventional pound cake, add to fruit when macerating...ooh, what about as a secret ingredient in apple pie! Ok, I might have to go pick up my own bottle now. :)

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

My family really likes chocolate chip cookies with a teaspoon of Fiori di Sicilia.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Any number of Italian desserts use fiori di sicilia. I use it when I make pasti ciotti, Italian cheesecake made with ricotta, the filling for cannoli. It also does not have an expiration and when refrigerated I believe it can last for a very long time.