Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

what are your favorite ways to chip away at a tub of miso?

i know it will last years in the fridge, but what's a good way to make some headway (besides soup)?

asked by Caroline Lange about 1 year ago
80a2b32b 19d9 462f aa60 00e50e1bd51e  image

Miso dressing for salad: 3 oz miso, 1 tsp. soy sauce, 1/2 tsp garlic paste, 1/2 cup flavorless oil like grape-seed, 3 oz rice vinegar and a pinch of sugar. Another use that is Nobu style for fish but also great with roasted eggplants or carrots: 2/3 cup sake, 2/3 cup mirin, 1 2/3 cup miso, 1 cup sugar. Bring liquids to boil, add miso, dissolve, add sugar dissolve. (This calls for almost two cups of miso, so it should take care of using it up fast!)

In college, I had 2 Japanese roommates. They were brother and sister and incredible cooks. A favorite around the house was their pork and Miso stir fry. It's not really a recipe because I just went by flavor memories after we all graduated and moved on. I use lots of ginger, garlic, onions, mushrooms pork tenderloin and asparagus when in season and spinach and kale when asparagus is out of season. Green beans could also be used. The sauce ingredients are sherry or Mirin (I love Eden organic Mirin..it's naturally brewed with no added sugar), miso and chicken stock. I usually add dried chili flakes. Serve over rice and drizzle with soy and sesame oil. It's a comforting and delicious meal.

I know you said no soup, but this one is very different from the usual miso soup.

https://food52.com/recipes...

Nobu Masuhisa's Miso-Marinated Black Cod. It uses like 1/2 c of miso. And it's sooooooo good.

Sorry here's the recipe link, http://www.foodandwine...

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I had if not this exact recipe than something very similar in Vegas. Sigh..... It was so good. To this day one of the best meals I ever ate. And then we went and saw Seinfeld. Best anniversary trip ever!

This butternut squash soup recipe: https://food52.com/recipes... Even better when made with a combination of roasted butternut squash and roasted parsnips - don't bother to core them - adding a healthy pinch of garam masala instead of the cumin + cayenne.

In fact, I'm making this for dinner tonight! ;o)

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

slather it all over a piece of fish (pre-cooking), or some roasted veggies (post-roasting). Love it in salad dressing. I'll actually add some miso to the water in my rice maker when I'm putting a batch in - sort of like using broth to cook your rice. Or throw some in with your pasta water if your making soba or udon noodles. I've also added some to Asian peanut noodle sauce - smooth peanut butter, miso, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, splash of mirin, red pepper flakes, little bit of sesame oil. Now I want peanut noodles.....

Okay, this probably goes into the "weird ways to use peanut butter" category, but . . . . in a large bowl, mix peanut butter, miso, a splash of low sodium soy sauce for flavor, and a big squeeze of lime. Toss just cooked fresh noodles from Chinatown in it, making sure you include a fair bit of cooking liquid. Eat for lunch; save leftovers for breakfast. Oh, this makes me hungry just typing it up. ;o)

(You can use dried noodles or soba, too, of course. And you can eat it for dinner. The leftovers make the best breakfast, however, served with genmaicha. A runny yolk egg seals the deal.)

This sounds awesome. I'm having it for lunch as soon as it's ready. I think I'll toss in some spinach somewhere as I have a big tub of it. Making extra for breakfast tomorrow!!

On toast.
Plain or with scrambled eggs.

Deac5e85 ab6c 4739 826e c35688e6f154  l1020855

This easy recipe for a marinade works equally well for a quick stir fry of either meat or veggies. Stir together a grated clove of garlic and a tablespoon of miso,grated fresh ginger,mirin, dark strong soy sauce,brown sugar,roasted sesame oil . Seal your food and the marinade in a zip lock bag . My favorite "bulgogi " ingredients are thinly sliced chicken thigh meat,broccoli florets and stems,mushrooms and red onion chunks. These are great flash cooked and served over rice...Njoy...ch

I forgot to add- have you looked at the Miso Butterscotch Bars recipe on this very website? Looks great!