What can I replace cranberries with?

I am making Ann Burrell's Cornbread & Sausage stuffing recipe for Thanksgiving. My family is not a big fan of actual cranberries(cranberry sauce from a can is about all they'll take). The recipe calls for1-2 cups of cranberries. Is there another fruit I can sub them with? Would figs or apples work??? And if so, how many cups worth?

asked by STS418 almost 3 years ago

lloreen

How about golden raisins? Dried cherries? Diced dried apricots? Diced fresh apple would be delicious, just different since the recipe calls for dried fruit.

The recipe in question:

http://www.foodnetwork...

calls for 2 cups of *DRIED* cranberries. Some of the recipe commenters say that quantity is too much.

My own inclination would be to substitute with ONE cup of dried cherries.

Good luck.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I would use dried apple or apricot (maybe even both), they would work very nicely with rosemary and spiciness of the sausage.

I think snipped dried black Mission figs would be wonderful, but they are a bit sweet, so I might use a combination of figs, dried sour cherries and dried apricots. (I don't think I'd use a two whole cups.) I'd plump them up just a bit first in Gewurztraminer or Riesling; or if just using apricots, in Madeira. ;o)

P.S. You could also skip the dried fruit and use a couple of crisp tart apples, diced without peeling.

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks