I have a stovetop cornbread box mix for stuffing. What do I add to make it special?

Dried cranberries? Sausage? What kind of sausage?

asked by Meredyth 28 days ago

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

Hi Meredyth! Stuffing is so flexible—you could add so many things and they would all be great. Here are a few of my favorite mix-ins:

—Browned sausage, especially a super-flavorful one, like spicy Italian or chorizo
—Lots of fresh herbs (sage is the most Thanksgiving-y, to me)
—Any dried fruit (chopped apricots or even figs could be nice)
—Toasted nuts (I love pecans) or chestnuts (you can buy these already roasted)
—Sautéed mushrooms

My co–recipe developer Ella just posted her dad's family-famous cornbread stuffing (so good!). Here's the recipe in case it helps inspire you: https://food52.com/recipes.... Happy Thanksgiving!

Or, you could plan your cornbread stuffing to complement the main seasonings on your turkey.
if you go with Thai or Chinese seasonings on the turkey, use scallions, fish sauce, mint, cilantro etc in the stuffing.
if rosemary and garlic, use some Italian or Sicilian notes in the cornbread...raisins, capers, garlic, etc.
Sage and onion is classic, with possible addition of other herbs to taste (rosemary, oregano, thyme)
Sweeten with something like maple syrup or molasses for a more complex taste; if using one of these, also spike the stuffing with a couple tablespoons of rum or bourbon (most of the alcohol will evaporate during cooking).