Dipping chocolate sauce problem

I'm trying to make some non dairy dipping chocolate from unsweetened chocolate pieces. I melted the chocolate, added a couple of tablespoons of butter and maybe a quarter cup of water (as a substitute for milk). The chocolate looks nice, tastes good, but slides right off the food I am trying to dip it into. Yikes. I'm guessing adding water was a mistake. Any ideas of how I can adjust this so it will stick?

asked by highwaterj almost 3 years ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I'm thinking it may be the butter. Sometimes when a ganache doesn't emulsify, the fat will pool and prevent it from clinging nicely. You said it looks nice, but is it possible that its a bit broken?

highwaterj

I strained off as much of the water as I could. It cooled and didn't harden. It got a little stickier. I'm thinking I'll put it in the fridge and use it for cupcake filling, or something like that.