A question about a recipe: Canal House's Cranberry-Port Gelée

I have a question about the recipe "Canal House's Cranberry-Port Gelée" from Genius Recipes. Is the alcohol all boiled out? I have a number of recovering alcoholics coming to my Thanksgiving this year and it's okay with them for me to serve number that *tastes* like it may be flavored with alcohol, but anything that has a percentage of alcohol still in it could set them off. Thanks!!

Lindsay-Jean Hard November 23, 2015

No, the alcohol will not all be boiled out. Here's a handy chart for future reference that shows the percent of alcohol retained in a dish by preparation method: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/AlcoholCooking.htm

For a similar smooth texture, you might want to try this one instead: https://food52.com/recipes...

Claire de la Lune
Claire de la Lune November 23, 2015

Thanks!

SilverSage
SilverSage November 23, 2015

Although most alcohol dissipates in cooking, it never never completely 'cooks out'. there are always traces left. However, once it's cooked and divided into portions, the amount in any one serving might be negligible - just a matter of drops. It would be up to you and your guests to determine whether that is acceptable.

Before anyone takes me to task, I am NOT encouraging either using the alcohol nor hiding the fact. However, if your guests frequent restaurants anything above the family diner type, they probably get alcohol in some of the dishes without knowing it. My father used to say, "eating never made me drink, drinking made me drink."

From Wikipedia:

"Alcohol added to boiling liquid and removed from heat: 85% alcohol retained
alcohol flamed: 75% alcohol retained
no heat, stored overnight: 70% alcohol retained
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture: 45% alcohol retained
baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture: (see table)

Time (h) Alcohol retained[2]
0.25 40%
0.57 35%
1.1 25%
1.6 20%
2.0 10%
2.6 5.0%"

Claire de la Lune
Claire de la Lune November 23, 2015

Great, thank you so much!!