If a recipe calls for egg yolks, but you mistakenly use whole eggs, will it ruin the dish?

Caroline Lange
Caroline Lange November 23, 2015

it depends on the dish. what are you making?

Shirley
Shirley July 24, 2017

Cream cheese/crescent roll breakfast dish.

Kim Rooker
Kim Rooker November 23, 2015

Pumpkin Pie - it is an old recipe where you cook the pumpkin mixture, chill, and then fill the baked shell. I was just concerned that using whole eggs might change the texture or taste of the pumpkin filling.

Susan W November 23, 2015

Is it the old Cooks Illustrated recipe? Did you end up with white flecks or did you whisk the eggs? Maybe put a little in a small cup, chill it and check the texture. Or do you still bake the entire pie (cooks illustrated)?

Caroline Lange
Caroline Lange November 23, 2015

hmmm... if you used the same amount of whole eggs as the recipe calls for egg yolks, the pumpkin mixture will have more moisture—but if you're cooking the mixture before pouring into a baked shell, i say just keep cooking the mixture to the desired consistency! any extra moisture should just evaporate off. i hope this helps!

Kim Rooker
Kim Rooker November 23, 2015

No, I got the recipe from a magazine 30+ years ago. I gently beat the eggs before adding them to the pumpkin mixture and cooking it. I don't have any white flecks but it just seems a little grainy in texture. I chilled the entire batch but it doesn't seem as dense as it normally is (although I only make this once a year!).

Kim Rooker
Kim Rooker November 23, 2015

That makes sense! Thanks so much for your help.

Shirley
Shirley July 24, 2017

It's a cream cheese, crescent roll breakfast dish.

nutcakes
nutcakes July 26, 2017

No, it is not. The original question was asked a year ago about a pumpkin pie mixture. If you want, start your own new question to get fresh answers to your dilemma, please give the recipe so people can help. We don't know if the egg is in the crust or filling. Don't just make a reply to an old question over a year old about pumpkin pie. Instead. post a new question just about your own issue, it will work better for you that way.