Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Got a frozen rabbit to cook. Intimidated, don't want to ruin it, or end up with a gamey tasting dish. What is the best way to cook it, stew, bake? what herbs pair best with rabbit? I'm having trouble finding recipes.

asked by stilltrying almost 6 years ago
B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

Is it a wild rabbit or a domestic rabbit? If it's domestic, you shouldn't have to worry about a gamy taste. If it's wild, soak it for an hour or so in buttermilk, then in salted water, to clear away any gamy taste. From there, I tend to prepare it the way I would dark meat chicken; it's sort of like chicken thighs, but tastier. One of the best preparations I ever had was the rabbit, stewed and shredded, then baked in with a dressing/stuffing and served with sour cherry sauce. Stunning!

9848bd7f 4343 4a4a 8dbc 694f97ffd18d  s538818392 1497440 3193 1

About rabbit alla cacciatore?
Cut the rabbit into pieces, salt and pepper, coat pieces with flour and sauté’ in butter (or oil). Add onion, celery and chopped carrots, pour white wine, let evaporate, and half of tomato. Occasionally, add water or broth if drying out. In the meantime, wash and cut the mushrooms, cook briefly in butter, add remaining tomato and cook for 10 minutes and add to the meat. Sprinkle some chopped parsley before serving. Excellent with a side dish of potato puree or boiled Arborio rice.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Good suggestions above! Rabbit is really good; it's kind of surprising that it's not so popular. The problem tend to be not that it's gamy but that it's so lean. So browning it and then stewing are popular recipes. Marinades are also good. As for what herbs--rabbit is so mild that it can take a lot of different flavors. Rosemary, rabbit, and bacon is delicious. Rabbit and fennel or anise is great. Thyme is excellent...

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

We gumbo-ed our last rabbit (using gumbo as a verb :-)

67bf087f e880 479d add5 0f9f3743c495  open uri20140906 32307 1jlfk11

it's a domestic rabbit. Thanks everybody!