🔕 🔔

Can I make a meringue topping for a honey-pumpkin pie early and keep in the fridge? I'll give the recipe link.

I'm making this favorite of mine today to serve tomorrow. It stays in the fridge, and the meringue step is supposed to be done right before serving. I'd like to do so earlier in the day to save time while entertaining. Would the meringue stay tasty if in the fridge for four or five hours? Thanks for any help! http://www.culinaryconcoctionsbypeabody...

asked by Sue about 1 year ago
Bb305185 6b66 45c6 ac96 6204c9dd8a30  dsc09796
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

Wow, sounds like a great recipe! Sadly, I wouldn't add the meringue the day before. If you live in a dry climate, you can make the meringue the morning of Thanksgiving, then keep the pie at room temp (not refrigerated) until you're ready to eat. Meringue can be a kind of finicky and I've found that it changes textures and sogs/weeps if made too far in advance and refrigerated. Best of luck!

D8c7287c 5969 47d0 9e6b a88e794c5732  dsc00893

Check out davidlebovitz.com. He has a pumpkin pie recipe with a marshmallow topping that might hold better then a meringue if you decide to make it ahead of time.

Sue

Thanks to you both for your recommendations. I ended up leaving the pie at room temperature rather than refrigerating after it cooled. I made the meringue three hours or so before serving, and it held up well on the room temperature pie. It was nice to be able to cut and serve while enjoying our guests!