Can I make a meringue topping for a honey-pumpkin pie early and keep in the fridge? I'll give the recipe link.

I'm making this favorite of mine today to serve tomorrow. It stays in the fridge, and the meringue step is supposed to be done right before serving. I'd like to do so earlier in the day to save time while entertaining. Would the meringue stay tasty if in the fridge for four or five hours? Thanks for any help! http://www.culinaryconcoctionsbypeabody.com/2009/08/19/those-arent-pillows/

• Posted by: Sue
  • November 25, 2015

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel November 25, 2015

Wow, sounds like a great recipe! Sadly, I wouldn't add the meringue the day before. If you live in a dry climate, you can make the meringue the morning of Thanksgiving, then keep the pie at room temp (not refrigerated) until you're ready to eat. Meringue can be a kind of finicky and I've found that it changes textures and sogs/weeps if made too far in advance and refrigerated. Best of luck!

Sandra
Sandra November 25, 2015

Check out davidlebovitz.com. He has a pumpkin pie recipe with a marshmallow topping that might hold better then a meringue if you decide to make it ahead of time.

Sue
Sue November 27, 2015

Thanks to you both for your recommendations. I ended up leaving the pie at room temperature rather than refrigerating after it cooled. I made the meringue three hours or so before serving, and it held up well on the room temperature pie. It was nice to be able to cut and serve while enjoying our guests!