🔕 🔔

For the second year in a row, I have made jarred pickled peppers. The cloves of garlic have turned blue. Why is thus?

asked by Pamela731 over 5 years ago

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

A natural reaction from the acid. Very common and nothing to be concerned about!

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

I find new, young, garlic, the ones that haven't been aged, are more likely to turn blue

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Harold McGee explains the reaction in detail here:

http://www.nytimes.com...

In "On Food and Cooking", he states blanching the garlic before pickling will minimize color development.