🔕 🔔

I made cucumber pickles with a variety of herb options. I am/was attempting a wild yeast, non-vinegar pickle (it worked last year...) This year though, there are varying degrees of a bluish scum on the top and cloudy liquids. The question is where is the line of 'skunked' and should be ditched versus skimmable and savable.

Out of 6 jars, two are clear, two murky, and two substantially 'icky' - interestingly (or importantly?) the breakdown was by herb additive. All grown in my garden. The clear was tarragon/garlic, the murky was thyme/pepper/garlic (light), and the icky was sage/rosemary/garlic/red pepper.

asked by KayBee almost 7 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I'd only eat the clear one -- better-safe-than-sorry approach.

07c808b7 76a9 4752 ae1f cfa66c1e1a1b  img 3447

i had the same problems with my naturally fermented pickles...really disappointing. Don't think i'll be trying it again.

7cc1da46 0251 415a 9236 e1996276d93f  bluepages

I've read that both Dill and Garlic have natural antibiotic properties -- that may be helping keep some of the simpler ones clear (if it's a proportion thing).