Which layer of the cake is on top when frosting

Do you put the bottom of the cake on top to frost or do you keep the bottom of the cake as the bottom. This is. 7 inch cake no layers.

asked by Barb wilson almost 3 years ago

I always frost the top, as it has a nice firm surface. I also spread thinned apricot jam on it and let that soak in for a while before frosting (a tip from Mary Berry) to give both good flavor and stability to the frosting. ;o)

Hi Barb, generally, I use the bottom layer of the cake, turned upside down, because it has the flattest surface and most precise edge; and this way there's less of a chance of crumbs getting stuck in your icing. Some bakers simply trim the top layer to make it flat or turn the top layer upside down, but then you have to contend with crumbs. Hope this helps!