I want to make a cake but I want to it to have a layer of jam underneath a layer of 7minute frosting. Will this work?

i want the jam to have cherries in it and the 7 minute marshmallow like frosting on top then the other layer of cake. I dont like buttercream but im willing to use another type of frosting

• Posted by: Rachel
  • March 8, 2017

creamtea March 8, 2017

Why not split the cake (or make a roulade) with the jam between the layers and frosting on top? If you try to spread frosting over jam I'm afraid it will be difficult to keep the jam from streaking the frosting, even if you were to apply it very thickly or to pipe it on with a special tip http://www.wilton.com/how-to-ice-a-cake-with-tip-789/WLTECH-433.html#start=9
Hoping others will chime in; I haven't used 7-minute frosting, only ganache, buttercream and stiff decorating icing when the kids were much younger...

Nancy March 8, 2017

Agree with Lisanne.
Unless you have a special purpose for wanting the jam and frosting together.
Or do you WANT the jam to appear? If yes to this, maybe frost the cake and pipe the jam as decoration after frosting sets.

Rhonda35
Rhonda35 March 8, 2017

Do you mean you want a layer of jam and a layer of frosting BETWEEN the layers or ON THE OUTSIDE of the cake? Between the cake layers is easy: spread jam on one cake layer and frosting on the other, then put the layers together with the jam and frosting sides facing each other. For the outside of the cake, I think it would be difficult, but you could try spreading the jam all over the outside of the assembled cake and then freezing the whole thing. Once frozen, quickly frost while the jam is still set. Allow the frosted cake to come to room temperature and, hopefully, you will have the cake of your dreams! Whatever solution you come up with, please report back. :-)

Voted the Best Reply!

ChefJune March 8, 2017

Growing up, our de facto birthday cake was Devil's Food with 7-Minute Frosting. We always put jam between the layers. If you want more jam, you could split the layers (making four instead of two) and putting jam between each. I would hesitate to put jam underneath the frosting. It might make the frosting slide off the cake.

charity
charity March 8, 2017

If you thin out the jam (maybe with some kirsch?), prick the top of the cake all over, and let it soak in for awhile before frosting, it will work. But if you are looking to retain the look of the jam under the frosting you will have to do it differently. If it is a cake that can be frozen (one with a high fat content or one that will be eaten within a day of being defrosted), frost it with the jam then freeze it before adding the frosting.

PieceOfLayerCake March 8, 2017

There's nothing inherently incompatible with jam and meringue so go for it. In austria, sachertorte is a chocolate sponge cake, filled with apricot jam which is then thinly spread or brushed on the outside. I'd suggest taking my cues from that if you want maximum jam action. If you apply the 7-minute frosting thickly and carefully, you should be able to keep the jam from coming through. If you're eating it shortly after, you could swirl the jam through the frosting for a bit of extra punch (and fun color). I believe the meringue might dissolve over time though.

Rachel
Rachel March 10, 2017

Thank yall so much for all the answers. I am putting it between the layers of cake, not the outside. I was so nervous about cutting this cake but putting jam between the layers makes me feel better somehow. I will do that. I was going to add a syrup to mositen my cake(mostly cause i just want to try it) but it might too soggy if i did that. Anyways thank you!!!