What can I use in place of fresh marjoram? I want to make the recent winning Savory Mushroom Bread Pudding recipe and couldn't find marjoram anywhere.

What herbs would be a great alternative for the bread pudding?

asked by Araceli almost 3 years ago

Caroline Lange

hi! i think you could use any combo of thyme, rosemary, and/or parsley with very tasty results.

Caroline Lange

or sage! which is a classic stuffing herb.

Dried marjoram from a reliable source would also work fine in this recipe. Marjoram has such a lovely, distinctive taste. Despite having two marjoram bushes outside my kitchen door, I often use dried, when I'm being even more of a slacker than usual. ;o)

marjoram is related to oregano (same botanical genus), so if you have oregano and like it, that's a possibility.

I would sub fresh oregano if it's available. If not, my second choice would be dried marjoram. Dried marjoram might even be my first choice.