stuffing in advance?

I'm making stuffing out of cubed sourdough, walnuts, dried apricots, sausage, onions, and shallots sauteed in duck fat. Should I assemble it all tonight? Partially assemble then add stock tomorrow and bake? Bake tonight for tomorrow? Second question: I also have a container of sauteed mushrooms and onions: add them in or leave out?

• Posted by: creamtea
  • November 25, 2015

Leslie Stephens
Leslie Stephens November 25, 2015

I would assemble it all tonight and then add stock and bake it tomorrow! And I'm all for adding in the mushrooms but it will take away from the sweetness and make it earthier—which might be nice! (Also shallots sautéed in duck fat—yum!!)

creamtea November 25, 2015

Thanks!

Susan W November 25, 2015

I always assemble, but add stock and cream the day of. I love the idea of adding the mushrooms and onions. Yum!!

ChefJune November 25, 2015

Imho you should either do it all and bake tonight, or get all the components ready tonight so that in the morning you can assemble and bake. I'm doing the latter.
I would use the mushrooms and onions for something else. You already have a lot going on in that dressing.