I have a frozen leg of lamb which I want to cook. Can it be cooked from frozen? Some website have said yes. I want to use a recipe from the NYT that I cooked before and it was fab. It's a 5 hour cook with a bottle of red and root vegetables. Is it safe directly from frozen? Appreciate all advice

Greenstuff January 10, 2011

It will be fine.

hardlikearmour January 10, 2011

is this the recipe? http://www.nytimes.com...
Since you're braising the lamb, it should work, though will likely take a bit longer.

casadelmonte
casadelmonte January 10, 2011

Hardlikearmour yes that is the recipe it was perfect, I am going to go with the tomatoe version tomorrow, thank you all for the info

A

casadelmonte
casadelmonte January 10, 2011

A

nutcakes
nutcakes January 10, 2011

It is something I'd never do. Why wouldn't you soak it in cool water, wrapped, for an hour or two tonight, place in fridge overnight, then further soak till ready tomorrow? I'm going to read more about it, but it does bother me.

pierino January 10, 2011

I would definitely defrost first if only to be able to brown it ahead of braising. To begin cooking while still frozen is not going to improve it.