Fridge/Cold water defrosting

Question! I took my 15 pound turkey out of the freezer on Tuesday night. With really 1 full day of defrosting, I am putting it in the sink and doing the whole changing water every 30 min. Since it had a day of defrosting, can I cut the time for the turkey to defrost in the sink????????????

asked by Ashley Shafer over 2 years ago

Kenzi Wilbur

You should be able to, yes! It sounds like it's partially defrosted already. It's hard to say exactly how much time you'll be able to shave off, but just keep checking on it. You and your turkey should be just fine. :)

Ashley Shafer

How can I tell if it is defrosted fully???? And it is a turducken, does that matter?

Kenzi Wilbur

A turducken would take longer to defrost—whereas a turkey has an open cavity which would allow more surface area to the defrosting water, a turducken is considerably more solid. If it's a regular bird, you check just be touch: Can you move its joints freely? Are you feeling any harder-than-normal parts? Or is it fleshy?