I intended to make 1.5x a recipe for pie crust. I did so for all ingredients except butter, which did at 2x. It has rested overnight. can it be saved

Worried the gluten will develop differently if I cut in more flour

asked by Kristen Polletta almost 3 years ago

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

Sadly, I think the best bet with this one is to start over. Lots of pie recipes are quick to put together and take only 30 minutes of resting time. We like this one: https://food52.com/recipes....

That being said, you could try rolling your crust in a lot of flour and doing a test run! Bake a few mini pie "crackers" (or par-bake a pie crust in the pan) and see what happens! I'm worried the butter might leak out, but you never know—and now that it's made, you might as well try!

Kristen Polletta

Good point about leaking out. I used 1/3 of it for pumpkin pie last night before realizing and I think that happened. Good suggestions! Thank you

Not sure, but what I'd do in this situation is complete the dough recipe for 2x, then portion off the 1.5x you need and refrigerate or freeze the rest for another time.

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks