My custard pie is not puffing up

I am making this pie http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/pear-custard-tart-hbc.html and it's just not puffing. I'm assuming it's because I didn't give the egg + sugar mixture enough volume with my whisk. Is this going to not taste good? Should I not serve it at Thanksgiving?

Kenzi Wilbur
Kenzi Wilbur November 26, 2015

SJ! We are here for you! Do not cry! If it never puffs, can you serve it as pudding, with a massive layer of whipped cream over the top? I think if you do this Adam's dad will still say it's the best he's ever had.

Ali Slagle
Ali Slagle November 26, 2015

Can you take a picture so we can see how unpuffed it is? As long as it's cooked through, I think it will taste delicious. (You can ask your family to eat it with their eyes closed if the pie is self-conscious.)

Nancy November 26, 2015

Your call.
If you have other desserts ready or being brought by guests, and worry this one is not holiday-worthy, save if for breakfast Friday.
On the other hand, custards usually contract anyway when they cool and it sounds like it will taste delicious. Serve with the almonds as indicated and - to gild the lily - some whipped cream or ice cream.
[Also, if you made it in a baking tin larger than specified, the mixure may just have spread out a bit.]

ChefJune November 26, 2015

I don't know what custards are supposed to puff up. I'm sure your pie is fine.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel November 26, 2015

Thank you, support group. Another q: I added the sugar 15 minutes out but it didn't brown/caramelize at all. Now that the pie is out of the oven, is it okay to throw it back in there, maybe under the broiler (dun dun dunnnn) to get the sugar melty?

Nancy November 26, 2015

Trade-offs:
More tears or browner pie?
IMHO, not worth (more) tears. Also the pic shows a light custard, not caramelized.
If you've not made this before, I wouldn't fuss it.
Just add the toasted almonds, maybe one of the cream garnishes and be done with it.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel November 26, 2015

Thanks, Nancy!