I am making Mollie Katzen's Yogurt Pie and forgot to buy wheat germ! What can I substitute in the crust?

here is the recipe: https://food52.com/recipes...

Jane is an Account Executive at Food52

asked almost 3 years ago

Ali Slagle

So happy you're making this! I lOVE it. You could sub in flour (whole wheat might add some of the nuttiness of wheat germ, but white would work, too). Maybe even finely ground breadcrumbs. Someone in the comments used a mix of oat bran and ground flax seed https://food52.com/recipes...

Hope this helps!

Jane Katz
Jane Katz

Jane is an Account Executive at Food52

thanks Ali! enjoy the day!!

you want something grainy and with texture.
If you have whole wheat flour on hand, you could sift it and get some wheat bran.
Or if you have wheat bran, use that.
Or crumble some whole grain crackers & mix in.
Pis aller, cornmeal grits.

Samantha Weiss Hills
Samantha Weiss Hills

Samantha is a freelance writer and editor.

I love this pie, and just made it this week!

Yes something with a little texture. Breadcrumbs or ground grain crackers would be a delicious substitution! Another little pointer: If you are using whole leaf spinach, rather than baby spinach, make sure you wash it thoroughly. While you want the grain to have a little grit, you don't want the spinach to.