🔕 🔔

How many servings of various appetizers should I plan for an open house (20-35 guests)

I've invited the neighborhood to an open house. I have several appetizers, ham, smoked salmon and several desserts planned. How many appetizer servings should I plan to have per person?

asked by Bunnee Butterfield almost 2 years ago

You're going to need more than you think. I recommend/try to have ready a couple of appys in HUGE quantity (like Spinach Balls https://food52.com/recipes...) so I won't run out. Since you're serving ham - plattered, I'm guessing - with condiments and rolls for sandwiches? you may get by with 5 to 7 appys per person. Less if you're passing them.
Another reco: don't serve shrimp unless you can pass them. They are expensive and disappear in an instant if you place a bowl or platter on a buffet table.

A couple of useful guides (professional chef, restaurant) recommend having 6-8 per person per hour.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

One thing you can do to minimize stress is make several apps in advance and freeze. I am thinking specifically of the mushroom pinwheels by inpatskitchen.
https://food52.com/recipes... you can assemble and freeze, then cut servings from the pastry log a few hours before service. This holds true for other apps you can find on the site - prepared weeks ahead of the event.

Thanks for the responses Bevi, Nancy, and Chef June. I have the menu planned and many things will be made in advance. Sounds as if I should get to work!