🔕 🔔

How to substitute skim milk for whole milk in ice cream?

I am trying to use up heavy cream (I have a lot!), and thought about trying our new ice cream maker for the first time. I only have skim milk however, and was hoping there was a way to compensate using skim instead of whole milk? Like, using a larger ratio of cream to milk?

asked by meet your baker about 2 years ago

012d983c ea5a 4b9f a942 a8f5dfcef8d7  ljh6675 web

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

This article (https://food52.com/blog...) talks about how swapping dairy products or changing ratios can drastically mess with the ice cream, so if you don't feel like chancing the results, you might try using a recipe designed for skim milk, like this one: http://www.marthastewart...

F3fdbabe d72e 44f9 919d eecf03b7e10e  liza skitchenlogo

I do it all the time without problems. Actually, I'll be doing it tonight when I make vanilla custard ice cream. I like a particularly eggy custardy base, which is why the lower fat content probably doesn't matter.

You can definitely do this.

Whole milk in the U.S. is 3.25 percent butterfat (or .26 ounces per 8 ounces), and skim milk has no (or nearly no) fat. Whipping cream is 30 percent butterfat, so .87 ounces of whipping cream has as much fat as 8 ounces of whole milk.

In practical terms (rounding up): 1 ounce of whipping cream plus 7 ounces of skim milk contains about as much butterfat as 8 ounces of whole milk.