Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

D0abaf68 a3aa 4105 a15a 732c3fd0d9ee  186158

we have a roundup of great food processor recipes! https://food52.com/blog...

(also: it makes shredding things like brussels sprouts and cabbage a DREAM!)

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Shredding potatoes for latkes in winter; pureeing cantaloupe with homemade almond milk and honey for cold soup in summer.

I worked for Cuisinart for years and always recommended (and still do) to buy the largest one you could afford or fit into your kitchen. You can do small amounts in a large work bowl much more easily than the reverse. Actually, 10-cups is not considered "large" at all, but average sized. However now you should be able to make bread, cookies and other goodies in your food processor. Soups also, altho with the advent of the stick blender, that utensil has really taken over the soup duties. [BTW, even my 14-cup workbowl is not the largest available.]

Great for crushing cookies to use in bourbon or rum balls! Great for turning booze-soaked dried fruit into a paste to use in flavor bourbon or rum balls! Great for combining paste with cookie crumbs to make bourbon or rum balls! (I made two different batches last night in my Cuisinart.)

Great for coarsely chopping cranberries for use in mostardas, cranberry chutney, etc.

Great for blitzing herbs and aromatics in this tamarind sauce https://food52.com/recipes... (Make triple or quadruple batches and freeze what you're not using tonight, to use within the next few months when you need a quick meal.)

Great for making XO sauce. (I use the recipe on grubstreet.com.)

Great for making Paul Virant's extraordinary Pumpkin Butter nice and smooth. https://food52.com/recipes...

Oh, I could go on and on . . . .

My then-soon-to-be mother-in-law gave me a 10 cup Cuisinart a few weeks before I was married. It's one of, if not *the* best kitchen tool gift I've ever received. I never would have bought one for myself (they were quite new back then). I use it all the time! ;o)

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

chop nuts(carefully, pulsing); grinding Parm; pureeing soups and sauces; mincing cooked seafood or meats; grinding meat;slicing large batch of mushrooms; slicing large amounts of onion before hand chopping the rest of the way. Thinly slicing cukes and carrots; pulsing for rough chopping canned plum tomatoes to break up before making marinara.; slicing baby kosher dills paper thin for Cubano and other sandwiches; grating large block of cheese; making bread crumbs. Congrats! No better kitchen appliance investment imo!

I would take the new machine as an occasion to re-learn or re-visit some things that can be made in any size processor, but with more space or ease in a larger one:
butter from scratch;
flavored butter (using store-bought or home-made);
quenelles (fish mixture to be poached. aka French gefilte fish);
crushed ice (for drinks or other kitchen use);
bread dough (use the machine power to mix and do first kneading);
mixtures for cold or hot soups;
cake batter (though be careful not to overprocess).

6cb49ef7 38b5 4eb6 aae4 04078f60ca73  how to make a custard part 1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Hello Jennifer W.,
O I love this question, and the answers are fabulous! I feel I have to represent my craft with the following list. p.s. As an aside, I received my first (and only) Cuisinart food processor over three decades ago! My father and stepmother were demonstrating them! It's still working!

When it comes to doing "liquidy" prep, my "rule" is - liquids in the blender & purées in the food processor. But after that, I LOVE the grating and slicing features for everything from vegetables & fruit, to cheese & butter.

ganache, cake frosting, tart dough (pâte sucre), muhammra, hummus, pastry cream, cremeux, gelee, granita, gravy, most any sauce, coulis, veggie burgers, chunky soup, marshmallow fluff.

pps. Please learn from my mistakes, though... Food processors are famous for using a lot of electricity. If one side of your house is susceptible to blowing fuses, choose your outlet carefully :[]

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I use mine for large batches of gazpacho.