Making shortbread without a food processor

I want to make Melissa Clark's rosemary shortbread recipe, but it calls for a food processor and I do not have one. What's the best way to make shortbread dough by hand?

asked by Marian Bull almost 5 years ago

Make them at the Food52 kitchen after hours or during lunch.

bigpan

Before food processors were invented, dough was made by hand.!
Best on a cold marble surface and use cold butter.
If you do not have a cold marble counter, fill some ziplock bags with ice and leave on the counter to chill it down.

Marian Bull

Thanks! Would you just cut the butter into the flour with your hands?

I would most likely use my hands, but if you have a pastry cutter that would be better because it doesn’t melt the butter as readily as your hands will. You want the butter to stay cold to achieve the proper texture. You can also use two knives to cut the butter into the flour, but I find this awkward and usually send flour flying around the kitchen.

Droplet

I have also seen old recipes calling for melting the butter, letting it cool somewhat, then incorporating flour and sugar in. With the proportions of traditional shortbread, you should have no trouble bringing the dough together.