Cav
Cav

If only there was an article, say on a popular food website, that delved into what one can do with various seaweeds...

LZ
LZ

This is my very favorite seaweed salad recipe. Addicting! http://www.pbs.org/food...

Else, seaweed, any kind, makes for a healthy snack.

I see noir in the photo, so assuming you have some of that to use, I love this rolled omelette. I have it often. If I'm just making it for myself, I use 3 eggs and two half sheets of noir. I don't bother straining the eggs and for simplicity (aka laziness), after I slice it, I drizzle with sriracha. My favorite breakfast right now.
http://mykoreankitchen...

Nori..not noir. :)

LE BEC FIN

Sarah, For Seaweed, it's the Japanese who are the Queens of Seaweed. There is a small paperback cook book i got recently- the only one i could find thru Amazon-on seaweed. But I haven't read it yet. There are so many kinds of seaweed, hundreds at least. I watched a youtube last week on using beach-gathered seaweed as a great veg garden mulch. I believe drying any kind is an option, to extend your use of it and put off any urgency you are feeling. The J use Kombu for their dashi (basic broth, the base of their amazing cuisine) along with katsuobushi (shaved bonito flakes). VERY good for you because of sea minerals. I myself enjoy many kinds of seaweed that has been dressed with some sort of soy/mirin/sake/sesame oil dressing with toasted sesame seeds or tobiko- for a flavorful and crunchy counterpoint to the chewy seaweed. Your recipe idea is a great one too. Kabocha squash stew w/ tamari and seaweed...... Great stuff; so much to learn. Wouldn't it be great for 52 to bring in a Japanese seaweed expert for a 52 demo/workshop on different seaweeds?!
Now, THAT would be fun!

LE BEC FIN

o.k. sarah, my face is beet red now, after reading the linked seaweed piece. which i had not seen before. boy do i feel dumb. sorry.

former Community Editor

Naomi Duguid wrote in to say the following:

"I'm thinking a seaweed and soba salad with mustard greens and a spicy fish sauce vinaigrette and either silken tofu or diced firm tofu. Recipes and advice appreciated!!"

That sounds delicious. I'd be tempted to give it a little more texture by sprinkling on crispy fried shallots or else crispy fried slivered ginger. And perhaps add a dash of sesame oil to your fish sauce vinaigrette, and lime juice rather than vinegar... Another option would be fresh lie leaves scissor cut into fine needles and tossed in: very pretty bright green and also a nice aromatic citrous edge.

BoulderGalinTokyo

I looked through my posted recipes and I haven't used seaweed in any of them-- My Bad!
Other than the nori and agar agar , you could put in here
https://food52.com/recipes...
or any hot pot treatment. If you use konbu to make dashi or in the hotpot, you can eat the knobu after cooking.

Andrea Nguyen
Andrea Nguyen

Andrea is a cooking teacher, food writer, contributing editor at Rodale's Organic Life, and a cookbook author; her latest book is The Banh Mi Handbook.

Seaweed is like the kale of the sea. In fact, I make a kale and seaweed salad. Not kidding. It's kind of life-force charging: http://www.vietworldkitchen...

I also make summer time Korean seaweed soup. Cool and refreshing: http://www.vietworldkitchen...

Many people associate seaweed with Japanese cuisine but the Koreans use it like crazy; look on the packages of kombu and many times, it comes from Korea. I was once gifted a Korean pantry in the mail and there was a lot of dried seaweed along with the requisite kimchi. I get lots of interesting mail.

Viet people make a salad with seaweed but it's not super duper common. The dressing is fish sauce, lime, chile, sugar. It's good but I have to say that seaweed and soy sauce make better friends.

Leith Devine
Leith Devine

Leith is a trusted home cook.

Add it to stir fried noodles (wheat or rice recipes) ramen or dry some and make your own togarashi....you pick the seasonings.