What are the ingredients for a vinaigrette salad dressing

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 6 years ago

A basic vinaigrette has a 1:3 ratio of acid to oil e.g. 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar to 3 tablespoons olive oil. Many vinaigrettes have dijon mustard and minced shallots, Always season with salt and pepper.

Yes and the mustard acts as an emulsifying agent. Oil and vinegar won't bind together no matter how hard you shake them up. Whisking in a small amount of mustard will help stabilize the vinaigrette.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Pierino, are you so desperate to fill in that little white sliver on the pie next to your photo that you've taken to double-posting? ;)

Seriouisly, Happy Thanksgiving - I'm thankful for people like you who always have such good advice and who are willing to share it freely!