Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Pasta for a crowd

I am making pasta with shrimp in garlic sauce for Christmas Eve for 12 people. I'm taking it to my in-law's house and there won't be any way to reheat it on the stove or in the oven. How can I keep it warm without having the pasta dry out or the shrimp getting tough? The sauce is very light (not a traditional sauce that I could "pour" over the pasta).

asked by TammyLee almost 1 year ago
added almost 1 year ago

Separate the pasta and the shrimp, reserving the shrimps. When comes the time to serve, put the pasta into a colander and pour boiling water over it. Immediately after it, mix the shrimps with the hota pasta. I think taht this will sove your problem.

added almost 1 year ago

45124859 919e 4c90 ab1a 5e81182d22e9  stringio
added almost 1 year ago

Buy or borrow one of those insulated carriers with a 9x13 pyrex baking dish. They really work.

added almost 1 year ago

Two ideas.
Take a regular drinks cooler, part fill with boiling water to warm it up, pour out the water, put in your pasta components, take to in-law house, recombine and serve.
If you're open to other ideas, consider a pasta dish designed to be served at room temperature, as in many a trattoria.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

added almost 1 year ago

I am afraid that you are also running a risk of pasta sticking together on the way to in-laws. To prevent it from sticking, you could add a tiny drop of oil to the pasta after it's been cooked. (In general, I do not like to do it as it will interfere with pasta's ability to absorb the sauce, but if you have no other option, that's the last resort.) And then, as others have suggested, pour boiling water over the pasta before serving to reheat it. Regarding the sauce... Is there any way you could cook the shrimp in advance and add it to the sauce right before serving (as opposed to having the shrimp sit in warm sauce). If that's the case, you can bring the shrimp separately, and add it to the warm sauce before serving, thereby minimizing the risk of shrimp getting tough.

added almost 1 year ago

Very nice the suggestion of QueenSashy. I have another procedure to prevent the pasta from sticking: for every pounf of dry pasta, I take 1/2 cup of the water in the ende of the cooking of the pasta and reserve. After drying the pasta ina a colander, I put it back to the pot, take 1 tablespoon of butter and mix with the pasta. Soon after, I pour the water reserved and mix weel with a big fork. From time to time, I mix again with the fork untial the pasta cools. After that, it doesn't stick any more.

added almost 1 year ago

Maybe take it to your in-law's house in a warm crock pot and then plug it in when you get there. If the pasta is a bit underdone before and the shrimp are just barely done, setting the crock pot on low should work?

Thank you all for these great suggestions!
I think I may try Nancy's idea and use a cooler. I've made corn on the cob in a cooler for my son's birthday and tailgates and forgot how well it keeps food warm.
I will keep the hot water in the cooler (instead of pouring it out) and put the pasta (with the shrimp) in doubled freezer bags and set them in the water.
I will let you all know how this works out.
Thanks again!