Cookie recipe with bread flour?

I found two cookie recipes from the early 1950s in my mother's recipes. They both call for sifted bread flour. My memory is a very tender, soft cookie. To the bakers out there: may I substitute all-purpose flour? I assume it would be wise to sift it.

• Posted by: ATL
  • December 11, 2015

ATL
ATL December 11, 2015

Sorry, my memory is NOT a tender, soft cookie! At least not usually. I remember a cookie that was soft and tender.:)

C Sangueza
C Sangueza December 11, 2015

You can absolutely use all purpose flour. As has been noted before, bread flour has a higher gluten content usually creating a less tender product. The ap flour should yield a more tender cookie. When I was growing up in the 50's flour was flour - my mother bought it in 50 lb. cloth sacks and used it for all baking. Sifting is probably a good idea but they will be fine.

AntoniaJames December 11, 2015

ATL, some old cookbooks, like the 1941 "Joy of Cooking", never refer, anywhere, to all-purpose flour. The recipes call for either "cake flour" or "bread flour." I always use AP flour in any such recipe calling for bread flour that's not for bread. ;o)