A question about a recipe: Cinnamon and Hazelnut Biscotti (Tozzetti Ebraici)

75d1ef30 c55e 4c6e 9930 b896210a6479  cinnamon tozzetti food52 img 2927

I have a question about the recipe "Cinnamon and Hazelnut Biscotti (Tozzetti Ebraici)" from Emiko. This recipe calls for "bittersweet cocoa powder". I have never seen that in a baking recipe. Is that the same as hot cocoa mix? I have both unsweetened and Dutch processed cocoa. Can I use them and add some sugar?

asked by Robert Wolf almost 3 years ago

I'm confused too. It's a new recipe, so I would send a direct message to Emiko. It seems odd that it only calls for 2 tsp of cocoa. I think either of your cocoas would work. The recipe already contains quite a bit of sugar. To send her a message, go to the recipe, click on her name. When you get to her page, you'll see an envelope. Click on that. I hope she gets to your question soon. I'm very curious about the answer.

By the way, I meant to add that I'm quite sure she isn't referring to hot cocoa mix. Hopefully she'll solve the mystery. :)

Robert Wolf

Thanks! I just sent Emiko the question directly.

Emiko

Hello! It's Dutch processed cocoa (we use that term in Australia, sorry for the confusion !)! The cocoa is used to add colour to the tozzetti but shouldn't be enough to overwhelm the flavour of the cinnamon (which is the star here) -- that's why there's only a touch of it in there!

Robert Wolf

Thanks for the clarification. I was eager to try this since I have been making Sfratti, the other famous Italian-Jewish cookie, for many, many years. It's one of my daughter's favorite treats.

Emiko

Robert, I'd love to know if you'd be happy to share the recipe for sfratti! I am planning on trying to make these too (after tasting them in Pitigliano a couple months ago) and I have Edda Machlin Servi's cookbook, but I'd be interested to see another recipe too if you are happy to share!

Robert Wolf

Emiko, I also use the Machlin recipe for Sfratti. There are other recipes on the web, but they're all very similar.

Emiko

Great, thanks, I'll go ahead and try it too! Adore her book.