I have a gorgeous soup tureen that I want to use on Christmas Eve. How do I keep the soup hot in this gorgeous thing?

Our family typically grazes for hours!

• Posted by: Jenny P.
  • December 16, 2015
318ef400 4378 4b57 8330 19fd0c18bf08  untitled

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN December 16, 2015

Keep replenishing it (not filling it) with scaldingly hot soup. You could try seating it on a cloth-covered warming tray, but my hunch says that wouldn't do much.

QueenSashy December 16, 2015

Jenny, and what a lovely tureen it is!!! One could look at it all day long. My guess too is that it will be difficult to keep the soup hot for a long time. Have you considered serving the soup in something else, and perhaps making a punch or eggnog to showcase the tureen? That might be easier (and the tureen will stay on the table longer).

E E Faris
E E Faris December 16, 2015

I don't think it will help for hours, but you can get considerably longer warm-time by filling the tureen with scalding hot water, let it stand for five minutes or so, then drain and add the soup. If you want to go for a long time then perhaps fill the tureen half way and replenish it later.
If it's a cream soup you will want to be careful about keeping the temperature at a safe level.

fitzie
fitzie December 19, 2015

I have a similar tureen and I've never found the answer. The only way I use it is to serve everybody at the same time either at a sit-down dinner or a buffet with a server (me) attending the soup. Frankly, I find it to be a pita when having a group large enough to merit the size of the tureen.

amysarah December 19, 2015

I have a porcelain soup tureen that I love (it's modern, but same idea) - but unfortunately, I now use it mostly to serve cold/room temp soup, for the same reason. I think Le Bec Fin is right that the only way to serve hot soup in it over a long period is to keep replenishing.

Leith Devine
Leith Devine December 20, 2015

I use an electric hot plate, set on the lowest setting. Make sure to stir the soup from the bottom of the tureen because it will be the warmest.