A question about a recipe: Spritz Butter Christmas Cookies

I have a question about the recipe "Spritz Butter Christmas Cookies" from Kendra Vaculin. Would it work to sub out 2 tsp of matcha powder for flour? I try to avoid food coloring.

E5a21ca7 c402 4c0f a582 9ce3b6fb0e4b  2015 1201 spritz butter cookies james ransom 011
Recipe question for: Spritz Butter Christmas Cookies

jonakocht
jonakocht December 19, 2015

Yes, that should work just fine. Though I'm not sure if it'll get that noticeably green with a small amount of matcha in that much dough. You might want to increase it to a couple of tablespoons, unless you're wanting just a very slight green colour and not much matcha flavour.

Lindsay-Jean Hard December 19, 2015

Yum, I think that sounds like a great idea—you might need to use a bit more matcha powder to get the color you want though.

Windischgirl
Windischgirl December 19, 2015

Thanks so much! I appreciate the suggestions for quantities, since I have not baked with matcha before. Do you both think 2-3 Tbs would be more like it?

Lindsay-Jean Hard December 20, 2015

Yes, I'd start with 2, and then you could also sprinkle them with matcha sugar (get a ratio in the matcha snickerdoodle recipe: https://food52.com/recipes...) for an added punch of green.

Windischgirl
Windischgirl December 20, 2015

LJ, I like your idea. I'll let you know how they turn out!