🔕 🔔

What should I do if I don't have time to chill a cookie dough (it's a high-fat recipe) overnight according to the recipe? Is the freezer wise?

Or could I get away with, say, 6 hours in the fridge?

asked by Zed almost 2 years ago

Is it similar to this recipe by Alice Medrich? If so, I have chilled it for a few hours and they are still delicious and didn't spread. They were better the next day after sitting for 24 hours, but the difference wasn't gigantic.

http://www.food.com/recipe...

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

I would stick the dough in ziplock bag removing all of the air, place in an ice water bath and stick the whole thing in the fridge.

Bb305185 6b66 45c6 ac96 6204c9dd8a30  dsc09796
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

Cool tip!

E1f267c5 c2b2 434f be41 a6f59743572b  shroom
Zed

Thank you both! I ended up doing the ice-water bath in the fridge--I was able to leave it for ~7 hours, and they turned out perfect.

Great to hear it worked out.

The Ziplock bag in an ice bath works for many things when you want to chill fast, don't want to dilute with water, and don't want to risk freezing (ice crystals forming). Plain old middle school level physics.

695013bb 6175 44d4 9967 d3fa0ab27033  stringio

Most cookies are pretty high fat- if it's not much more than 1 fat to 2 flour by volume, chances are good you could skip it entirely- certainly 6 hours is more than adequate.

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Here's another idea: after making the dough, press/flatten it into a disk (or disks) about twice as thick as you'll eventually roll it out to. It will chill really fast, unlike a ball of dough. It will also be much easier to roll out once chilled, since you'll be starting with dough that's mostly rolled out already.