Can I chill cookie dough overnight?

My linzer cookie recipe suggests I chill the dough for at least two hours. If I leave the dough in the fridge overnight, will this be a problem when it's time to bake?

Hilarybee
Hilarybee December 20, 2011

What kind of dough is this?

If sugar cookie, chocolate chip, molasses, etc. Absolutely! And I would argue this is highly desirable. I like to give most of my doughs a nice long sit before baking. Usually at least eight hours.
I find very thin cookie batter, like for pizzelle cookies, some vegan cookies should be used right away.

Voted the Best Reply!

Amanda Hesser December 20, 2011

Yes actually it's good to chill it overnight because it gives the dough time to fully absorb the wet ingredients..

pinaycusinera
pinaycusinera December 21, 2011

Thank you!

ChefJune December 21, 2011

It shouldn't be a problem. Just be sure to bring the dough up to room temperature (I'd use a probe thermometer) before you start to work with it. I would do that even if it were chilled for only the 2 hour period you mentioned.