🔕 🔔

Substitute buttermilk for heavy cream in a scone recipe?

Blueberry scone recipe calls for 3/4 cup heavy cream, can I replace the heavy cream with buttermilk?

asked by Caraj almost 2 years ago

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

Sure! It will be delicious, just a little less rich. I use milk in my scones and have used yogurt, whisked, in a pinch.

17cbe882 e54e 4513 bfe4 3579418350ce  fb avatar
mia

Buttermilk scones are awesome, you should! I've also used whole milk in the past.

F16adcb5 e667 4c56 8d37 2984714c46e9  open uri20131025 3491 1e6gbf8

If there is any baking powder or baking soda in the recipe...I would expect to add somewhat less baking powder than the original recipe prescribes, because the buttermilk contain sufficient acidity, and also add a small amount more baking soda as the buttermilk will react with more of it. There are some baking guides online with specify rules of thumb.

18b4c5ea 4fcd 4b40 ae35 f46aa73b4abf  img 0848

I make this substitution fairly routinely in scone recipes, and I don't think we miss the extra fat at all.

GsR

You can also, if necessary, use full fat yogurt.