use buttermilk instead of cream in scones

I don't have enough heavy cream for my scone recipe (1 cup) can I substitute buttermilk?

asked by peach49 over 6 years ago

I think it would be better to substitute milk. Buttermilk will change the acidity and the baking powder might not react properly.

peach49

you are right, I hadn't thought of that, thanks

Christine

if you need to use buttermilk rather than sweet, here is how to adjust your leavening to deal with acidity issue Maedl mentioned. From About.com "To achieve the desired result when using buttermilk instead of milk, substitute baking soda for some or all for of the baking powder. For each cup of buttermilk used in place of sweet milk, reduce the amount of baking powder by 2 teaspoons, and replace with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda." i think you're going to end up with something a bit more like a sweet buttermilk biscuit, which might not be a bad thing at all ;-)