Yuck! Throw Away Your Anchovy Paste!

I wasmaking an impromptu Chicken Marsala tonight and needed a tiny bit more anchovy than I had in the frig. I had an unopened tube of anchovy paste and thought I might use that, so I squeezed out some and tasted it. Yuckola! It has sugar, butter, oils, amongst other ingredients. I tossed it and swore I'd warn others about it. I usually keep a small plastic container w/ anchovy filets in my frig or frzr- for deepening sauces or dressings, making anchovy butter (I just love it on rustic bread) etc. and now that I know how disgusting the paste is, I'll never buy another tube of it!

asked by LE BEC FIN over 2 years ago

A

Anchovies mashed with a bit of olive oil and pepper add another layer...toss the anchovy paste!!!

I have two tubes of anchovy paste. Amore and Cento. Ingredients: anchovies, salt, olive oil. Like anything, reading labels is key. Another brand had other junk in it.

Just went and looked at mine, and it's the same as Susan's...

Mine too - nothing but anchovies, oo and salt. Any packaged product can be loaded with junk - labels are your friend!

ktr
ktr

Anchovy butter! How do you make that?

Buzz up a couple of anchovy fillets with butter in your food processor. Mmmm mmmm mmmm.

ktr
ktr

My husband will think I'm crazy but that sounds awesome!

LE BEC FIN

here's my recipe, k!:
https://food52.com/recipes...

ktr
ktr

Thanks!

Like any other prepackaged manufactured food item, there are good ones and bad ones. As Susan W. and ChefJune have both noted, there are versions with a short list of key ingredients and there are others filled with a bunch of junk.

When buying any prepackaged item (and this goes far beyond just food products), compare labels and think to yourself why Manufacturer A is adding something to their product when Manufacturer B does not.

Good luck.

LE BEC FIN

ktr, my pleasure!

LE BEC FIN

I should have mentioned that I am a dedicated label-reader but these tubes must have been bought in my neanderthal years!