Can I omit anchovies from a caesar dressing recipe without much issue? If not, is there a vegetarian friendly substitute? Thanks!

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna January 9, 2011

Chopped black olives maybe?

usuba dashi
usuba dashi January 9, 2011

Try Dulse. This is a common sea weed from Ireland, used in cooking, especially in Northern Ireland. I use it all the time in salads and other cooking. It is also cultivated in Maine. There is a company that harvests it called Maine Coast Sea Vegetables. You may find it in natural food stores, sometimes sold by Eden Foods. It will give you the closest results to that of anchovies.

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna January 9, 2011

mmmm dulse is yummy

JessieLK
JessieLK January 9, 2011

thanks!

prettyPeas
prettyPeas January 9, 2011

Ooh, I like the idea of dulse. The way I see it the anchovies are adding saltiness and umami which you'll want to make up for. My vegetarian friends use white miso for this, which plays well with the dressing texture, or something really briny like the liquid from a jar of capers.

mrslarkin January 9, 2011

Yes, white miso paste is yummy vegan substitute. I had never heard of dulse..sounds so good. Will have to look for that!!

Soozll
Soozll January 9, 2011

I used to not like anchovies and sub'd drained Kalamata olives in my salad. I still do it when I don't have anchovies. It's brininess is just right for Caesar Salad.