how long & what temp does it take to roast half a butternut squash?

asked by @RuthHayter almost 8 years ago

Summer of Eggplant

40 minutes to an hour at 350.

Bevi

It depends how you roast it. I like to roast it at 375 face down after oiling it, on a baking sheet. A little salt and pepper is good. A nice crust forms on the cut side of the squash.

cookinginvictoria

I usually do 400 degrees, which takes about half an hour to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the squash. The recipe above, Caramelized Butternut Squash Wedges with Hazelnut Pesto (which is divine, by the way!), has you slice the squash into wedges and roast them at 500 degrees for about 20 minutes. The edges get gloriously toasty and crispy. Love doing squash that way as well.

nutcakes

If you are in a hurry, and don't need carmelization, squash can be cooked quickly in the microwave--cut side down in a little water with plastic wrap overall basically steams it quickly. depending on the size, try 5 minutes at a time--check it, try another 5.

I usually microwave whole on high. Pierce it all over with knife. Check every 5 minutes, like nutcakes suggests.

fry it

350 for 45 minutes to an hour. What you going to do with the other half ?