A question about a recipe: "World's Best Cake" with Banana & Coconut

D34a6074 510f 4d46 a0e2 3b9626a99401  2015 0501 worlds best cake with cinnamon and bananas 073 jr

I have a question about the recipe ""World's Best Cake" with Banana & Coconut" from Sarah Jampel. I don't understand the 12/3 cups of sugar or the 11/3 cups of flour and see nothing about that in the comments

asked by Christy almost 3 years ago

It probably means 1-2/3 cups sugar and 1-1/3 cup flour.

Yes, as cremated said, it is 1 cup plus 2/3 and 1 cup plus 1/3. There is a space between the 1 and the fraction in the recipe, but it's small.

...rumors that my kitchen has gone up in smoke have been greatly exaggerated :)
Evil spellcheck!

Lol. I have to watch my kindle like a hawk. Good to see you're still with us. :)

Idiosyncrasies with the Food52 page layout design and how the pages interact with various web browser software make some recipes rather inscrutable.

I see you registered today. Expect to see similar head-scratching instructions on other recipe pages on this website from time to time. Use your best judgment and common sense to determine the actual intent of the recipe author.

Of course, if you have a question about a recipe, your best bet is to contact the recipe author directly. That also serves as an alert to that author that there is possibly a problem with the recipe in *ALL* of the places that it is posted (many recipes posted here are cross-posted on multiple websites).