Has Anyone Had a Boeuf Bourgignon That Was Unusual?

As I am smack dab in the middle of making my annual pot of Julia Child's Boeuf Bourgignon, I am realizing that I have made the same recipe for some 30+ years.( beef, mirepoix, wine, brandy, onion, garlic, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, mushrooms. Has anyone had a Bf Bourg with a twist- that surprised you and that you really enjoyed? I'd love to hear about them!
( added lentils, celery root, jerusalem artichoke, anchovies, fishsauce, etc.?.............. )Thx much

asked by LE BEC FIN over 2 years ago

SeasonToTaste

How about a Nicoise-style beef daube? There's a good recipe on epicurious that includes star anise.

LE BEC FIN

well, l, i never thought i'd see Nicoise and Star Anise together ! I must look into this. It seems I only see Star Anise in recipes for '3 Cup' (Chinese) variants: soy sauce, sherry, ginger....But since there's almost never a culinary combo that doesn't have a previous source, I'm probably in for another history lesson! Thx so much.

SeasonToTaste

I may be blending two recipes in my mind: a braised short rib with star anise and the beef daube Provençal with nicotine olives, both on Epicurious and both excellent. Just thinking out loud, but the umami flavor added by olives isn't really that different than what miso or fish sauce adds, right? So, maybe these cuisines aren't really that far apart! I was just looking at your mahogany wings recipe, so I knew you'd embrace star anise!

LE BEC FIN

aha! well, the 2 different recipes makes sense. but, to answer your specific question, i don't think olives are considered umami. yes i love all anise-family things, or most!

SeasonToTaste

Ok, so much for my memory...neither recipe is on epicurious!
Daube recipe: http://www.marthastewart...
Short rib recipe: http://cooking.nytimes...

I hope this helps!

How far are you willing to go and still call it Boeuf Bourguignon? I looked into it some years ago, and it seemed to be a pretty well defined dish. Decided I liked Mom's beef stew better- it was the first dish I really learned to make. And it doesn't include those blasted little onions- I was too proud (cheap?) to buy frozen, and BOY did peeling those little Tishbites get ole in a hurry.

LE BEC FIN

man, unc, you could not PAY ME to peel those onions. Forget Chinese water torture..................

LE BEC FIN

well, as we speak, i am simmering a small pot from the master pot, with added jerusalem artichokes, okra, and chickpeas cooked in wine and stock (after overnight soaking). Will report back when I have a handle on it.

Not sure about the okra, but I love the idea of Jerusalem artichokes and beans added. I want to make it now.

LE BEC FIN

Susan, so far, the jer artichokes are a def Yes. but the wine cooked kala chickpeas, nuttier or not, are still not my cuppa tea/ too mealy for me(and bag is brand new.) I'm trying beluga lentils next. They might do it.
I paired them w/ freekeh in a soup last week (my first time cooking belugas) and really liked them and their texture.

Chickpeas are not my favorite bean. They don't even become creamy when sprouted. I prefer a large, white, creamier bean. Although, they'd be a little unsightly when cooked with red wine. Maybe I wouldn't mind that when just feeding myself, but I usually save that recipe for company.

I've never been fond of lentils either. I know..it's a flaw. I've never tried beluga lentils.

Cranberry beans maybe?