A question about a recipe: Nach Waxman's Brisket of Beef

Ed11481c 77d1 4bc4 9c8c 079271c8af8a  8222494410 c497a1065a b

I have a question about the recipe "Nach Waxman's Brisket of Beef" from Genius Recipes. Starting with a 1# brisket, should I cut everything else down by 6ths? I belong to a CSA and get fabulous cuts, but my brisket is barely .85 of a pound. I want to cook this recipe, and know from past sizing up and downs that there are some recipes where going down so dramatically with the full ingredient list is not a good idea. I suspect this might be one. I have a small Dutch oven and was thinking of doing 4 onions not 8, "enough" tomato paste to spread thinly over the top (it's still a broad flat cut), and then going with 2 cloves of garlic and the one carrot. Thoughts? Cooking time suggestions? I'm dying to cook brisket and this is my first time, so I'd like to get it in the ballpark!

asked by K over 2 years ago

Your plan sounds good. It seems like way too many onions though. I would probably use an 8x8 pan with a foil cover for the baking rather than the Dutch oven. I have a small 3 qt Dutch oven and one lb would be lost.

I had another thought. You could also make a fabulous batch of beef jerky with it.

I've made this plenty of times as a half recipe, and it's well-worth it! The most important thing is to have a decent bed of onions, so if 1/6 doesn't look like enough to cover the bottom, I'd bump it up. Then, just keep an eye on it, and if it seems to be getting dry, add a splash of water.

If you get brisket regularly, freeze this one & more until you have enough (2 lb or more) to make a decent sized batch.