A question about a recipe: Carrot Soda Bread

0b1513a5 4d0f 49ab b20c 9f6a13356aa0  carrot soda bread 1

I have a question about the recipe "Carrot Soda Bread" from fiveandspice. How long will this keep?

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

asked almost 3 years ago

I don't recall ever eating bread that was better after the day that it was baked, so much of your answer will be based on your own standards on what you deem enjoyable.

That said, my guess is that this bread (like many) will be okay for a 2-3 days properly stored and will survive a month or two of freezing.

But again, much of this will probably be based on your standards on quality in terms of product deterioration. I don't know how you feel about other breads eaten after the day of baking.

Good luck.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Thank you! I will let you know how my standards pan out. :)

Riddley Gemperlein-Schirm
Riddley Gemperlein-Schirm

Assistant Editor at Food52

I find soda bread to be best the day it's made and still warm from the oven! However day 2 isn't bad at all, especially if when the bread's warmed a bit.

Windischgirl

Soda bread is best the day it's made...day 2 is okay if toasted and slathered with butter :-)
CV, you are right about yeasted breads. However, sourdough or Levain breads can improve over the first couple of days. Rye sourdough breads especially need a day to "sit" uncut for the best flavors to emerge.

Your note about sourdough/levain breads may be correct about flavor, but I have not experienced better texture from day-old bread of either type.

While I don't bake my own bread, I do buy these from a top-notch commercial bakeries (Acme, Tartine) here in the SF Bay Area; Acme Bakery services many of the area's top restaurants. Their levain is still pretty good five days from baking, but the texture does suffer (it's still great toasted).

Certain loaves I buy knowing I can consume them over the period of nearly a week. Other loaves I purchase with the intent to consume with a day or two.

Do I prefer fresh-baked sourdough baguette? Absolutely. Will I eat day-old baguette toasted? Sure, an Acme one is still enjoyable. Will I eat four-day old baguette? No thanks, might work as breadcrumbs. There are also major differences even between commercial artisan bakeries. Some bakeries' bread deteriorate very quickly.

If I have no familiarity with a new bread or bakery, I automatically assume that the bread will be best enjoyed within a day or two.

That's just personal observation from decades of buying, eating, and throwing away bread. I'd rather do less of the latter.

Again, this is about individual preferences and expectations of what you will find acceptable quality.

Windischgirl

mia
mia

There is a lot of carrot and dried fruit in the recipe, I'd say its more of a fruit bread than a soda one and the risk of it drying out will be lower because of its higher moisture content. I can normally keep my fruit breads out for about a week with no worries...but I'm not very particular about old bread.