🔕 🔔

What cheese can substitute for brie as a baked appetizer for 100 person buffet?

Usually I bake a wheel of St. Andre and top with a blueberry agrodolce. The dairy no longer carries St. Andre.
Would this work with a Morbier?

asked by mimi almost 2 years ago

25279a8e 9ff9 4952 bf3a 2fec857a33f4  polaroid
Sarah E Daniels

Editorial Intern

I have never eaten Morbier cheese, but I'm willing to bet any cheese with a thicker (but still edible) rind and an inside that's soft but not runny would work fine (ex Camembert, Chaource, Teleme, or Coulommiers).

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Camembert would be the closest readily available commercial cheese. They are both from Normandy.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

It will work, but Morbier does not taste like St. Andre... The taste is sharper and I am not sure it will play the same way with your agrodolce. What other cheeses do they carry? Camembert will work, and you could even venture to Italy, cow's milk robiola comes to mind.

or possibly Reblochon (alps) or Explorateur cheeses.

Personally, I don't think Morbier nor Robiola have any close resemblance to St. Andre in flavor.

Camembert is the closest readily available cheese that resembles Brie's flavor profile and physical characteristics.

My guess is that your dairy no longer stocks St. Andre because of poor sales, but it is available to them by special order. Since you are ordering for a large party, you might be able to place that special order. St. Andre is generally more expensive than Brie/Camembert, but assuming you don't particularly care about the budget line item, I'd say go for it.

Morbier is not a bargain cheese. Brie/Camembert can be found at various price levels based on producers, etc.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I don't think Morbier would be your best bet as a sub for baked Brie, in terms of flavor or texture (though I'm quite fond of it - it was my mother's favorite.) It's a semi-soft cheese with a lower fat content, not a soft-ripened cheese with a chalky white rind, like Brie. (Also not sure how attractive its distinctive ash "stripe" would look baked.)

As others have said, Camembert would be an easy to find alternative, and there are other similar French cheeses as well - e.g., I often see Coulommiers where I live. If you have a good local cheese shop, I'd ask them what they recommend from their selection.

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Mimi, this doesn't really answer your question, but if you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they do a high volume in St. Andre and should be able to source whole wheels for you. Their price is the best I've ever seen, too $9.99/lb.

183419d6 51a1 4952 966c 797e2ec36c27  75660843 541761783 rotate

Camembert the way to go, and of course it's amazing baked

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

Watch out! Yesterday I was working my way through a Camembert(stronger than Brie, Mushroomy profile, LOVE the stuff) and I took a sip of soda water that I had added fresh lime to. OMG!! Worst thing I ever tasted! So I'm urging caution with your Agro Dolce idea and the Vinegar that makes it Agro. Maybe use another topping- chopped toasted almonds or hazelnuts maybe?

Why would anyone expect lime-flavored water to go with Camembert?