Making pea soup with hambone. Recipe called for milk AFTER 5-6 hours of cooking. I added it in the beginning with the rest of the ingredients. HELP!

It's a slow cooker recipe.

asked by Linny almost 3 years ago

SeasonToTaste

Interesting! I've never used milk in split pea soup. Adding it ahead of schedule certainly won't do any harm, but you may see some "separating" as the milk proteins cook. My guess is that the natural creaminess of well-cooked split peas will mask most separation, and a good stir can handle the rest.

I have been eating and making pea soup all my life, and have never heard of adding milk in the recipe. I would have omitted it altogether.

not to mention I cannot imagine cooking it for 5-6 hours!