🔕 🔔

Can I do something with the empty pea shells after cooking the peas? If pea broth, what to do with the broth besides pea soup, since the peas were all used for another recipe? And if not broth, what else?

asked by linzarella almost 7 years ago

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

The idea of broth is a great idea although I am not sure it would be that flavorful. My pods go to the chickens. I am going to have to try the broth idea though.

9acfdd05 7247 4ff2 9a6c 9141e73a07c8  52 photo

Some of the pods are so sweet; I use them in salads, making sure to take off the stringy part (if needed) and then I either sliver them or make 3 or 4 diagonal cuts - depends on the recipe I am using them with. The last ones were great slivered in an oil based potato salad.

Pea pods are a great addition to any light vegetable broth. I wouldn't put celery in that broth, or at least not much celery, as its strong flavor would overwhelm the pods. I really like lapadia's suggestion of cutting into slivers and adding for color and flavor into another vegetable salad, as you would tiny sugar snaps or snow peas. Or, you could toss them into a noodle salad with Asian flavors, which is what I often do with sugar snaps. They add such a nice spark of color!

86b32736 917c 43b0 9148 2e26decac0b0  fb avatar
added about 2 months ago

Blanch the pods in boiling water for a minute, then quickly cool in ice water. Whiz pods and some of the cold water in your food processor, then strain through a sieve. Use resulting very green broth to make green pea risotto that tastes like summer.

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

added about 2 months ago

Broth. Jane Grigson has a beautiful chapter on green peas in her book "Good Food". Her work is a gold mine.:)

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055
added about 2 months ago

Julia Child has a recipe in Mastering Vol. II for a fresh
pea soup that utilizes the pods.