Can I do something with the empty pea shells after cooking the peas? If pea broth, what to do with the broth besides pea soup, since the peas were all used for another recipe? And if not broth, what else?

asked by linzarella almost 6 years ago
B9464ce6 76f7 41db a563 e5ad504521bf  2016 04 05 23 37 37

The idea of broth is a great idea although I am not sure it would be that flavorful. My pods go to the chickens. I am going to have to try the broth idea though.

9acfdd05 7247 4ff2 9a6c 9141e73a07c8  52 photo

Some of the pods are so sweet; I use them in salads, making sure to take off the stringy part (if needed) and then I either sliver them or make 3 or 4 diagonal cuts - depends on the recipe I am using them with. The last ones were great slivered in an oil based potato salad.

Pea pods are a great addition to any light vegetable broth. I wouldn't put celery in that broth, or at least not much celery, as its strong flavor would overwhelm the pods. I really like lapadia's suggestion of cutting into slivers and adding for color and flavor into another vegetable salad, as you would tiny sugar snaps or snow peas. Or, you could toss them into a noodle salad with Asian flavors, which is what I often do with sugar snaps. They add such a nice spark of color!