Da8e0089 c27d 4b05 96c5 27d8d2160f4b  imagescatxeb9s

my italian grandmother stored her homemade chilli powder in the fridge and even the freezer- why does she do this and is there logic to her madness?
cheers
(p.s please spare a thought to the flood victims of australia)

asked by jessm4 almost 8 years ago

jessm4

stores*

usuba dashi

I keep my chili powders in the freezer also, since I make mine up from whole dried chilies. Unless the chilies or powders have been treated with heat, gas or have been irradiated, there is a good chance that little bugs could appear. I also find it keeps the chili powder fresher longer.

The "little bugs" appear because the eggs are already in there. Same with flour. Freezing deters them from hatching. On the other hand I don't think freezing improves the flavor of seasoning mixes in any way. In fact, the opposite.

POTATO

Seems like a great idea. There is capsaicin oil in dried chili powders. Storing it in the freezer or fridge would extend the shelf life and prevent the oil from going rancid.

innoabrd

I do keep bulk dry spice in the freezer to stop infestations, etc. But, hey, I live in Africa...

casa-giardino

I also make my own. I put it in jars. You may want to freeze it if you keep it a long time. We make some every year around this time from dry peppers from our garden. As a matter of fact, we just finished making some.

jessm4

thanks everyone...
what beautfiuly coloured chilli powder *casa-giardino*.
special thanks to tiggy-bee also for her kind words sent via msg.