Where can I buy lamb kidneys?

When I was a kid, you could buy lamb kidneys in any supermarket. Now they have disappeared, yet I see some restaurants occasionally have them. Where can I buy them in NY or online?

asked by Lisa M Levengood over 2 years ago

You will have to go to a real butcher for those. And it may require a special order. Some lamb parts e.g. lungs, can't be sold in the USA.

Lisa M Levengood

Thank you for your answer!

Lisa M Levengood

Thank you for your answer!

Lisa M Levengood

Thank you for your answer!

You will probably have to make a special request at a real butcher shop (Try Pino's on MacDougal just south of Houston) or at the Union Square Greenmarket on Saturdays at the Catskill Merino (lamb farm) stand. I'm sure either place can get them for you.

Lisa M Levengood

Thank you for your answer!

SusanKP

I would check a halal meat market.

foofaraw

Agreeing with halal meat market. They usually butcher the animals themselves. The one near me even raises the lambs and goats themselves.

Lisa M Levengood

Thank you for your answer!

Lisa M Levengood

Thank you!

Good idea about a Halal butcher. I haven't been, but have heard good things about Honest Chops in the East Village - since they're a "whole animal" butcher, maybe they'd have it: http://honestchops.com/

Lisa M Levengood

Thank you!

Lisa M Levengood

Thank you!

Jessica Rowell

White Oak Pastures in Bluffton, GA, sells them (and just about any part of the animals they raise, as they are a farm focusing on animal welfare and environmental sustainability). They list their products online and will ship, but I have no idea about the shipping costs. If you can find a local place near you, obviously that would be a better choice, but these folks are really great.

Em
Em

Small farms will sell any part of their meat, including heart, kidneys, tongue, marrow bones, and liver. Find out what small meat farms come to your local farmer's market, send them an e-mail to reserve some kidneys for you, and then pick them up on the next farmer's market day. I do this when I want marrow bones for soup.

Lisa M Levengood

Thank you!

caninechef

If you can not find anyone this way Google Hudson Valley lamb. I found quite a few farms pop up on such a list.