🔕 🔔

to much butter in puff pastry

i put a pound and a half of butter in my puff pastry during the lock in phase when my recipe calls for 1 pound 2 ounces what is going to happen.

asked by Jessica Sigwart almost 2 years ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Hard to say. Butter characteristics vary by producer and by season. Same with flour.

My guess is that your puff dough might be a little richer, but then again, you might not notice a difference.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

my guess would have been 'a greasy mess' but i have no experience with it. Plse tell us what happens after you've baked some off.There are MANY 52 bakers who probably have had this experience; give them some days to see this question and respond.

695013bb 6175 44d4 9967 d3fa0ab27033  stringio

While we're guessing- never done it myself, but butter containment is always a problem in puff pastry, and that's a lot of extra; I'd guess that it will cook up ok but you will bleed a lot of butter; I'd take steps to avoid buttering the oven.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Maybe lining you baking sheet with parchment paper on a rack to absorb any extra moisture/fat loss?

You will probably have some butter dripping out of the pastry once it is baked. I don't think it would be a big greasy mess since you only used 1/3 more butter than called for (I remember that horrible American version of the Great British Bake Off and a contestant who decided to use Double the butter during the lamination; yes, rivers of melted butter). But expect that the finished pastry will be somewhat heavy and greasy.