🔕 🔔

I had a miso soup in Japan that seemed beef based, not dashi based. It was delicious. Does anyone have a recipe?

This was not ramen. Just broth.

asked by evak224 over 1 year ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Knowing how the Japanese see food, I'd just make a simple beef broth, light and clean and use that to substitute for the customary dashi.

There are a bajillion recipes for beef broth on the Internet. Pick one that appeals to you however I do recommend one that is simple as that would best represent the basic philosophy of Japanese cuisine.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I'm thinking it might have been Red Miso. It's more of winter type miso soup...it still in Dashi, but it has a more 'beefy' taste. Miso Master is very good brand made in the US. It's pricey but it last forever in the fridge---like years.
http://natural-lifestyle...

Yes, it very well could be "aka miso" (red). Sadly, the original post is almost devoid of description.

I happen to have some aka miso from Hikari Miso in my fridge, organic producers in Japan. Good stuff, but I use sparingly since the flavor will quickly dominate a dish.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Perhaps its was a beef bone broth.

I make miso soup all the time. Sometimes with dashi, sometimes with stock, sometimes with dashi made with stock. It really depends on what's going on in my kitchen. I have to say that miso soup made with a beef stock is one of my favorites. I also tend to add a lot of things to my miso soup (see my recipe for Miso Recharge as an example) to make it more of a substantial meal. I suggest you play around with it using the previous suggestions and see if you can nail the flavor you are looking for.

Another thing that I do to add umami and a certain meatiness is to soak dried shiitake mushrooms in room temperature water overnight. I strain them and use the soaking liquid to add to the stock or the dashi and use the mushrooms in the soup. Delicious!!

Thank you! I have your recipe for miso recharge somewhere but forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.

Feel free to change it up and add beef stock If you want, leave out the gochujang, almost anything goes.